Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
333 Market Street
Inscription. At 341 feet in height, 333 Market Street represents the pinnacle of Harrisburg's robust skyline and is not only the city's tallest building, but also the tallest of any building located between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Built in 1977 as part of the first generation of new development in Center City under the Harristown Urban Renewal Plan, 333 Market Street followed shortly after the construction of Phase I of Strawberry Square in fulfilling the strategy of locating expanding state office space in the Central Business District, rather than in areas involving the demolition of neighborhoods north of the Capitol Complex. This strategy would further increase downtown's workforce population, a key to the city's economic revitalization. The south side of the 300 Block of Market Street between Dewberry and Fourth Streets was traditionally laden with retail and commercial establishments. At its eastern end stood the original Metropolitan Hotel built in 1908 which was expanded several years later and renamed the Governor Hotel. The Harrisburg YWCA temporarily occupied the structure in the 1970's before moving into new quarters. While all other buildings on this block were demolished for the new skyscraper, the Governor Hotel was spared and now serves as apartments for senior citizens. Buildings replaced by 333 Market included the popular 150-room
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. 333 Market Street Marker
William Penn Hotel, built in 1922, and the original Davenport Restaurant that grew into a national food service chain operating under several familiar trade names. Today, 333 Market Street, as home to the Pennsylvania Departments of Education and Banking and supported by the abutting 1,088-car Chestnut Street Parking Garage, well illustrates the intensity of Harrisburg's modern Center City development.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. 333 Market Street in rear.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.701′ N, 76° 52.799′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Market Street, Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zion Lutheran Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Maurice K. Goddard ( within shouting distance of this marker); Presidential Convention ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Pennsylvania Railroad Station ( about 300 feet away); Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater ( about 300 feet away); Thomas Morris Chester ( about 300 feet away); T. Morris Chester ( about 400 feet away); Old Dauphin County Courthouses ( about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
More about this marker. Top Photo
300 Block of Market Street south side with Governor Hotel at left and William Penn Hotel, center.
Bottom Left Photo
Photo of William Penn Hotel and Davenport's Restaurant, now site of 333 Market Street.
Bottom Right Photo
Circa 1915 postcard view of the Metropolitan Hotel, later renamed the Governor Hotel. Adjoining properties are now the site of 333 Market Street.
Categories. • 20th Century • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,906 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.