Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Brown County Bank

1871

 

—Historic Downtown New Ulm —

 
Brown County Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
1. Brown County Bank Marker
Inscription.
The Brown County Bank is among the oldest commercial properties within the district. As the local economy recovered from the devastating effects of the Dakota Conflict, the city found itself without a bank following the demise of the First National Bank in 1867.

Four years later, a group of local investors organized the Brown County Bank. In November 1871, it opened for business at this corner location. A newspaper report cryptically stated that the plan was made by a Mankato architect without naming the firm. In June 1874, the bank was sold to three Rochester businessmen, who operated it as a private financial institution until 1892. In that year, local investors, including Congressman John Lind and brewery president Otto Schell, gained control as stockholders. The bank continued operations until 1931 when its assets were transferred to the Citizens Bank.

The building has undergone few changes since its construction. The front was remodeled in 1901 with newly fashionable plate glass windows.
 
Location. 44° 18.809′ N, 94° 27.54′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of North Minnesota Street and Center Street, on the left when traveling south on North Minnesota Street. Touch for map
Brown County Bank and Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
2. Brown County Bank and Marker
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 North Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (within shouting distance of this marker); City Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guardians of the Past (about 400 feet away); Erd Building (about 500 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 500 feet away); Dacotah House (about 600 feet away); Crone Store (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
 
More about this marker.
photo captions
• The Brown County Bank (right) and Behnke Store, 1870s · Images from the Brown County Historical Society
• The Brown County Bank and the City Meat Market, circa 1910
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Former Brown County Bank image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
3. Former Brown County Bank
Sven & Ole's Books
Nearby Photo image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, June 20, 2013
4. Nearby Photo
New Ulm - 1870s
View of Minnesota Street circa 1871, looking north from Center Street · Courtesy of Brown County Historical Society · Funded by: New Ulm Area Foundation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement