Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Michaelís Lutheran Church
Inscription. The evolution of the English and German-speaking Lutheran congregations in Harrisburg resulted in the establishment of a number of churches that has helped to enhance the city's fabric of sacred architecture and history. From the oldest site at which religious services were conducted in Harrisburg, at Chestnut and S. Third Streets where the German Reformed congregation built Salem Church in 1822, would emerge the Zion Lutheran congregation which built its original church on Fourth Street in 1814. Salem was German Speaking, and Zion was not, and members of the latter, who desired a German-speaking service and chose not to rejoin Salem, moved on to found their own congregation of St. Michael's in 1843. A year later, the first St. Michael's church was erected on the east side of S. Second Street. It stood until 1905 when the church and the remainder of the block were acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad for the construction of the Railroad's freight depot where the Mulberry Station residential community now stands. In 1906, the second St. Michael's church was completed at its present location, the same year that the present Capitol Building was dedicated just up the street. The strength of St. Michael's German heritage is Particularly understood as its services were spoken in the native tongue as late as 1940. Among the church's treasures
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. St. Michael's Lutheran Church Marker
are a German Bible presented by Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany in 1906 and another German Bible autographed and presented by Field Marshall von Hindenberg in 1925. St. Michael's, through the beauty of its stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany, and restored pipe organ dating to 1894, continues to serve the community from the foundation of its rich heritage.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. St. Michael Lutheran Church
Circa 1910 postcard view with St. Michael's at far left looking up State Street toward the Capitol.
Pre-1926 interior view of church sanctuary.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.751′ N, 76° 53.274′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on State Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Between Front and Second Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Former) (here, next to this marker); J. Donald Cameron (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Donald Cameron Mansion
(within shouting distance of this marker); William Maclay Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Maclay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996) (about 300 feet away); The Civic Club of Harrisburg (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
By John K. Robinson, May 11, 2008
3. Interior of St. Michael Lutheran Church
Regarding St. Michaelís Lutheran Church. The correct name of the church is “St. Michael Lutheran Church,” not “St. Michaelís.” This was changed many years ago.
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
By John K. Robinson, September 26, 2007
4. Resurrection Window
This stained glass window was brought to the current church building (1906) from the congregation's earlier building on South Second Street near Washington Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,019 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on May 17, 2008, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.