Greenwood in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The kitchen and carriage house were connected to the house by a latticed breezeway. Often travelers in the need of overnight rest were welcomed, and the guest register still exists. Prior to 1900, the well supplied many Greenwood residents their water. The house is built of yellow heart pine, the timbers are hand hewn and the doors and trim are hand made. The original full length second floor veranda was destroyed by a 1953 storm. The house is now owned by Lucy Whitall Erwin, Colonel Erwin's granddaughter.
Erected 1973 by Jackson County Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 52.204′ N, 85° 9.708′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Road (State Road 69) and Bryan Street (State Road 71), on the left when traveling east on Fort Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenwood FL 32443, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Greenwood Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Oaks (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hayes Long Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sylvania Plantation (approx. 5½ miles away); Dellwood Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Davis-West House (approx. 7.4 miles away); Lewis-Wykoff House (approx. 7.4 miles away); Fight at the Chipola River Bridge (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.