Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Auburn Native Sons Hall

 
 
Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 10, 2013
1. Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker
Inscription. Rebuilt in 1860 after a fire, George Willment resumed his mercantile business on the lower floor of this new fireproof building. The second floor was added at this time which was owned and operated by the Eureka Lodge #16 F&AM. In 1871, Willment sold his part of the building to David and Julia Lubeck and the business continued as a dry goods store. The downstairs usage was changed to an undertaker's parlor from 1896 to 1935. After the Masons moved to their uptown location, the upstairs was sold to Julia Lubeck in 1916. In the years following the Masons departure many other organizations used the upstairs including Auburn Parlor #59 NSGW. Following the undertaking business the building had various owners and usages until Clay's Home Furnishings purchased the building circa 1960. In 1986, Auburn Parlor #59 of the Native Sons of the Golden West purchased this building from Clay and has operated it as their meeting hall ever since with the downstairs being retail space.
 
Erected 2012 by Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number GPY 135-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.78′ N, 121° 4.681′ W. Marker
Past Grand President David Allen & the Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 10, 2013
2. Past Grand President David Allen & the Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker
is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is on Court Street 0.1 miles west of Lincoln Way, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Although the street address is on Commercial Street, the entrance to the upstairs (Native Sons Hall) is in the back of the building and accessible off of Court Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Commercial Street, Auburn CA 95603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860 (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Willment General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Placer Press (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Feldberg – L. Newman, Clothing (within shouting distance of this marker); First Placer County Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawyers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Placer County Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Auburn Fire House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 10, 2013
3. Auburn Native Sons Hall Marker
Looking down Court Street toward Commercial, the marker is visible at the top of the steps, to the right of the open door to the meeting hall.
Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, March 10, 2012
4. Dedication Ceremony
Native Son Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Geschke, Auburn Parlor NSGW
5. Native Son Park Marker
This exhibit, constructed by Auburn Parlor No. 59 Native Sons of the Golden West, is dedicated to the citizens of California in memory of all of the gold miners throughout the "Mother Lode" who through ingenuity, perseverance, and hard work, helped to create the "Golden State of California."
Dedicated in
Truth, Liberty, Toleration
September 28, 1996
by the
Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West
Frank A. Milani, Grand President
Native Son Park image. Click for full size.
By Dave Geschke, Auburn Parlor NSGW
6. Native Son Park
Looking across Commercial Street is the front of the Native Sons Hall.
Old Mining Equipment image. Click for full size.
By Dave Geschke, Auburn Parlor NSGW
7. Old Mining Equipment
On display in the Native Son Park in Auburn at the intersections of Commercial, Court and Maple Streets.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.   4. submitted on May 8, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.   5, 6, 7. submitted on April 24, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement