Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
& for 50 years editor of
Zion's Landmark. Office
& home was 1/2 blk. NE.
Erected 1979 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-54.)
Location. 35° 43.772′ N, 77° 54.629′ W. Marker is in Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Vance Street NE and Maplewood Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Vance Street NE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hackney Wagon Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry G. Conner (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); First ABC Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); R.D.W. Connor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barton College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding P.D. Gold. A prominent publisher and religious leader, Pleasant Daniel Gold was born in 1833 to Milton and Martha Fortune Gold in what in now Cleveland County, North Carolina.
In the late 1860s, Gold decided to change his church affiliation and switched from the Missionary Baptist Church, or “New School,” to the Primitive Baptist Church, or the “Old School.” He joined the Kehukee Primitive Baptist Church of Halifax, home of the state’s most active Primitive Baptist organization. Gold was such a dynamic personality in his new calling that he joined the church, was baptized, ordained, and preached a sermon all in the same day. As part of his new mission, he co-founded a newspaper called Zion’s Landmark in 1867 with L. I. Bodenheimer. Gold became associate editor in 1871 and served as editor from 1872 until 1920. The paper became the leading publication of the Primitive Baptist Church.
Gold also served the Primitive
Wilson served as his base of operations, where he published Zion’s Landmark and also founded the P. D. Gold Publishing Company in 1902. His publishing company issued the Daily Times and the Semi-Weekly Times and was later incorporated as The Wilson Daily Times Publishing Company.
In 1863, while Gold served as a missionary Baptist pastor in Goldsboro, he met and married his first
wife, Julia Pipkin. The couple had eleven children before Julia’s death in 1913. Gold later married Eugenia Burton of Winston-Salem, who died in 1940. P. D. Gold died in 1920 and is buried at Maplewood Cemetery in Wilson. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 535 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.