Near Richmond in Madison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Boonesborough: In 1778, the Kentucky frontier was saved by two major military victories: The settlers withstood the Great Siege of Boonesborough and George Rogers Clark defeated British and Indians at Kaskaskia and Vincennes. This fort became the first town chartered in Kentucky, October, 1779, by the Virginia Assembly. See over.
Presented by Ky. Soc. Sons of the Revolution.
Erected 1975 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1520.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 53.733′ N, 84° 16.05′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Kentucky, in Madison County. Marker is on Kentucky Route 388 east of Boonebovough Road (Kentucky Route 627). Touch for map. The marker is located within
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nathaniel Hart / Home of Capt. Nathaniel Hart (within shouting distance of this marker); First Ferry in Kentucky / Col. Richard Callaway (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Richard Callaway / First Ferry in Kentucky (about 500 feet away); The Fort Boonesborough Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Defending the Kentucky River (approx. half a mile away); Three Confederate Raids (approx. half a mile away); Roads in the Wilderness (approx. half a mile away); A Long, Steep Road (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Fort Boonesborough State Park. (Submitted on February 2, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on February 2, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.