Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rev. Jacob M. Koehler

(1860-1932)

 
 
Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
1. Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker
Inscription. Founder in 1882 of the institute that became the Scranton State School for the Deaf. An ordained minister who was deaf, he was concerned for this state's uneducated deaf children and was a leading advocate of compulsory education of the deaf. President, National Association of the Deaf, 1896-1900. Twice president, Pennsylvania Society for the Advancement of the Deaf. U.S. representative to the World Congress of the Deaf (Paris), 1889.
 
Erected 1999 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 25.796′ N, 75° 38.491′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue 0 miles north of Electric Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1800 North Washington Avenue, Scranton PA 18509, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Patrick Casey (approx. mile away); Capoose (approx. 1.3 miles away); Munsee Indian Village (approx. 1.4 miles away); In Remembrance of the Holocaust (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Tripp House
Wide view of the Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
2. Wide view of the Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Anthracite Mine Disaster (approx. 1.6 miles away); Houlihan - McLean Center (approx. 1.7 miles away); Scranton - The Electric City (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
 
Regarding Rev. Jacob M. Koehler. The Scranton State School for the Deaf was closed in 2009. The campus was shut down in 2012. The students were transferred to the newly created Scranton State School for the Deaf, located in nearby South Abington Township. The campus was sold to Marywood University and the buildings await remediation and rehabilation.
 
Also see . . .  History | Scranton State School for the Deaf Alumni Webpage. (Submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducation
 
The first building of the Scranton State School for the Deaf (1895) image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
3. The first building of the Scranton State School for the Deaf (1895)
Scranton State School for the Deaf campus image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
4. Scranton State School for the Deaf campus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement