Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Charles Towne
On the occasion of the 300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Charles Towne, the South Carolina Tricentennial Commission acquired this original site for a permanent historic park and nature preserve.
Ten years after the original landing in April 1670. The town moved to the present location of Charleston, leaving this property in private hands until purchased by the state from its last owners, Dr. and Mrs. Joseph Ioor Waring.
Mrs. Waring, whose family, the Legares, owned the property for over a century, spent many decades transforming the working plantation into the present impressive gardens and lagoons. This park is a realization or her foresight and her desire to preserve the birthplace of South Carolina for future generations.
Location. 32° 48.195′ N, 79° 59.163′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from Old Town Plantation Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the History Trail at Charles Towne Landing. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 Old Towne Road, Charleston SC 29407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Trust (within shouting distance of this marker); The Search Goes On (within shouting Hints of Slave Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Stained Dirt?! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ghost Structure (about 400 feet away); A Temporary Home? (about 400 feet away); Buildings “All of Wood”? (about 500 feet away); Seeking, Wealth, Sowing Servitude (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 322 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.