Zermatt in Visp (District), Valais, Switzerland
Hotel Monte Rosa
Here stood the house in which Joseph Lauber opened the first hostel in Zermatt in 1839, at first with three, and then later eight guest beds. Alexander Seiler took over the hostel in 1853, and then in 1855 constructed the Hotel Monte Rosa, originally with thirty-five beds. This starting point of the Seiler's hotel business quickly became the headquarters of the pioneering alpinists, and became especially known by the members of the Alpine Club as "The Mountaineers' True Home" (CE Mathews, 1885).
Location. 46° 1.207′ N, 7° 44.773′ E. Marker is in Zermatt, Valais, in Visp (District). Marker is on Bahnhofstrasse, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bahnhofstrasse 80, Zermatt, Valais 3920, Switzerland.
Other nearby markers. Edward Whymper (a few steps from this marker); Bergfuhrerplatz (Mountain Guide Square) (within shouting distance of this marker); First Ascent of the Matterhorn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parish Church of St. Maurizius, Zermatt (within shouting distance of this marker); Rudolf Taugwalder (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Taugwalder (within shouting distance of this marker); Horace Benedict de Saussure (approx. 0.8 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Hotel Monte Rosa: History. The Hotel's history. On its origins: ... And it was way back in 1853 that Alexander Seiler first rented Doctor Lauber’s wooden chalet. The first two Zermatt summers were highly successful for Alexander – and already at the end of the second business year he acquired the chalet, increased the former number of 6 beds to 35 and reopened the establishment under the new name “Monte Rosa“ on 24 July, 1855. (Submitted on September 15, 2013.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.