Opelika in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First United Methodist Church
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1837 with 22 members as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Red brick steepled building completed in 1881. Renamed “First Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Opelika” by Quarterly Conference in 1905. Remodeled in 1909 to present Classical Revival style characterized by fluted columns, Corinthian capitals, and sanctuary dome.
Erected 1987 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 32° 38.883′ N, 85° 22.658′ W. Marker is in Opelika, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue A and South 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue A. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Avenue A, Opelika AL 36801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rosseau's Raid to East Alabama (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Avenue Historic District Lee County Courthouse / Lee County Probate Judges (approx. 0.2 miles away); South Railroad Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Chapel (approx. half a mile away); Lieutenant Colonel Dallas B. Smith (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelika.
Also see . . . History of First United Methodist Church, Opelika. (Submitted on August 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
1. Serving Ministers of First United Methodist Church, Opelika
Lebanon: 1837-1857, The First 10
Rev. James Capps, Rev. Isaac Falkenberry, Rev. Luke Mizell, Rev. Francis LaFayette Cherry, Daniel Bullard, Young Edwards, William Barnett, William Williams, Rev. David Lockhart and Rev. William Burney Neal.
Opelika, church first location 1858-1879
Rev. Mark S. Andrews;; 1863,
Current location 1879 to date.
Rev. J. S. Rencher; 1883-86, Rev. Josiah Bancroff; 1887-88, Rev. William M. Motley; 1889, Rev. Theophilies Fields Mangum; 1890-92, Rev. J. M. Mason; 1893-96, Dr. Oliver Clark McGehee; 1897-1900, Dr. Henry D. Moore; 1901 Rev. J. W. Shoaff; 1902-03, Dr. W. P. Dickinson; 1904-06, Dr. J. M. Dannelly; 1907, Rev. A. P. McFerrin; 1907-10, Dr. Hannibal H. McNeil; 1911-1914, Rev. E. C. Moore; 1914, Rev. A. P. McFerrin; 1915-17, Dr. W. M Cox; 1918-19, Rev. C. W. Northcutt; 1920, Rev. M. E. Lazenby; 1921-22 Rev. Jonathan C. James; 1923-25, Rev. Jonathan W. Budd; 1926, Rev. W. F. Cann; 1927-29, Rev. Percy Spencer Hudson; 1930-30, Rev. Jonathan C. James; 1933-35, Rev. Norman McLeod; 1936-39, Rev. W. M. Curtis; 1940-42, Rev. J. W. Frazier; 1943-44, Rev. D. H. McNeal; 1945-47, Rev. T. S. Harris 1947-50, Rev. M. C. "Si" Mathison; 1950-62, Rev. C. Everett Barnes; 1962-68, Rev. Torrence Holder Maxey; 1968-72, Rev. Floyd Carson Enfinger; 1972-76, Rev. J. Walter Ellisor; 1976-81, Rev. William Earl Calhoun; 1981-84, Rev. Frank A. Arnold, Jr. 1984-89, Rev. David Chunn; 1989-93, Rev. Donald K. Fuller;
— Submitted August 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.