Camden in Wilcox County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Camden
Organized April 3, 1845 by a Commission of Southern Alabama Presbytery to serve the community of Camden in Wilcox County. Originally known as the Old School Presbyterian Church, its first congregation numbered twenty-three. First Ruling Elders were Alexander McLeod and W. B. Patton. Original church building, erected in 1856, burned on September 17, 1869. Present building constructed in the mid-1880s.
Erected 1995 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 59.643′ N, 87° 17.542′ W. Marker is in Camden, Alabama, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Alabama Route 28) and Union Street, on the left when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 Broad Street, Camden AL 36726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camden (about 500 feet away); Lieutenant Joseph Morgan Wilcox (about 500 feet away); Confederate Dead of Wilcox County (about 500 feet away); Wilcox Female Institute Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Postal Routes of 1820 (approx. 11.2 miles away); Prairie Mission (approx. 13.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Camden. Rural Southwest Alabama (Submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.