Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2

 
 
Holland City Hall & Firehouse No. 2 marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 9, 2013
1. Holland City Hall & Firehouse No. 2 marker
Inscription. The city of Holland bought this lot in 1882, and contractor James Huntley began construction of a fire hall the next year. Completed in 1884, the building housed Holland's city offices and library until 1912 and served as a fire hall until 1978. During World War II the west annex was built. In 1983 the firehouse was rehabilitated for use as office space. Grooves in the engine house floor that provided traction for the horses have been filled, and the doors, once replaced to accommodate trucks, have been restored.
 
Erected 1983 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L551.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 47.416′ N, 86° 6.144′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on East 8th Street 0.1 miles east of College Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East 8th Street, Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church
Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 9, 2013
2. Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Holland Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dutch in Michigan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Third Reformed Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Wing Mission (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ebenezer Reformed Church (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Help is needed from any-one - - with photo and text of the second side of this marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement