Johnstown in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built 1774 as Colonial Jail
Rev. War Civil-Military HQ.
Inspected by Lafayette 1778
Capt. John Littel Commanded
During Oct. 1781 Ross Raid Supervisors &
JTown Hist Soc
Erected 2013 by Johnstown Supervisors & Johnstown Historical Society.
Location. 43° 0.175′ N, 74° 22.253′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Perry Street and East Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling north on South Perry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 East Montgomery Street, Johnstown NY 12095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); Talmadge Edwards (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Burk's Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1 Mile to Baronial Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony Elizabeth Cady Stanton (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Johnstown (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement for an historically inaccurate one. On August 6th, 2013 this marker was officially dedicated by Johnstown City Historian Noel Levee, officials from Fulton County government and the Johnstown Historical Society. The inaccurate 1932 marker stated that Fort Johnstown was "inspected by Washington in 1783." Many local experts over the years have concurred that Washington never visited Johnstown
Regarding Fort Johnstown. Fort Johnstown was built in 1772 as the Tryon County Jail. It was placed on the highest ground in the village in case of Indian attack or war. It was considered one of America's strongest buildings for defense, with massive stone walls impervious to all but the heaviest artillery. During the American Revolution, the jail became Fort Johnstown as well as a military prison. The structure was fortified with a surrounding palisade and lookout towers at diagonal corners. It was manned by militia companies to protect the Sacandaga from enemy infiltration.
Willett's men attacked the retreating British in a battle strung along the route of today's Johnson Avenue. An interpretive sign marks the final battle site in a field northeast of Johnson Hall.
Today the building is the office of the Fulton County Planning Department
Additional keywords. Fort Johnstown Jail
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6, 7. submitted on September 2, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 9. submitted on September 10, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.