Vallecito in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1939 by popular subscription and dedicated by the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 5.182′ N, 120° 28.448′ W. Marker is in Vallecito, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Church St. and Carson St. and Cemetary Lane, on the left when traveling north on Church St.. Touch for map. Marker is on church grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Vallecito CA 95251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dinkelspiel Store (about 500 feet away, measured Camp Nine Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Douglas Flat (was approx. 2.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Italian Store (approx. 2.3 miles away); Joseph Schachten (approx. 3.3 miles away); Parrott’s Ferry (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Brownsville (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ebbetts Pass Veterans Memorial (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vallecito.
Also see . . .
1. Significant Towns of the Mother Lode Country. Vallecito is briefly mentioned here in this chapter from the book A Guide to the Mother Lode Country (1948) by C. Frank Brockman. A picture of this marker taken at that time is included. (Submitted on April 7, 2008, by Matt Gholson of Houston, Texas.)
2. The bell of Vallecito: a historical mystery - Stolen or bought? Only the dead know for sure. The Calaveras Enterprise (12/4/2015) looks at various sources and considers whether the bell was stolen or bought, and whether it had originally been a ship's bell. (Submitted on December 4, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. This page has been viewed 2,011 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.