Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
The Old University
Der ältere, westliche Teil dieses Gebäudes mit Eck-Wappenstein entstand 1562 bei der Erstanlage des Innsbrucker Jesuitenkollegs, wobei eine um 1499 erbaute Salvatorkirche miteingebunden und in die Strasse hinein erweitert worden ist, der jüngere östliche Teil wurde erst 1672/73 nach dem Bau der heutigen Jesuitenkirche errichtet. Nach der vorübergehenden Auflösung des Jesuitenordens 1773, zog hier 1776 – Inschrift am Ostportal – die bis dahin an der Herrengasse kehrte Universität ein.
The older, western part of this building with a corner-mounted coat of arms in stone was constructed in 1562 with the initial efforts of the Innsbruck Jesuit college, and was built around and incorporated the 1499 Salvatorkirche, extending the building into the street. The newer, eastern portion was built in 1672-73, only after the construction of the present Jesuit church. After the temporary dissolution of the Jesuit order in 1773, they moved here in 1776 - as attested to by the inscription over the east portal - until then the Herrengasse connected to the university.
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Universitätsstraße 4, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The New Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Court or Franciscan Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tower of the Coat of Arms (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesuit Church of the Holy Trinity (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The House of Archduke Sigismund of Tyrol (about 120 meters away); The Teutonic Order House (about 180 meters away); Precht House (about 180 meters away); St. James Cathedral (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.