Near Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
“Mr. Mother Lode”
Student, salesman, miner, rancher, post master, school board member and general superintendent of the nearby Carson Hill Mine, he has spent a productive lifetime in this region. He established the Mother Lode Highway Association in 1919, serving as president or director until 1950 when it joined into the Golden Chain Council. One of the organizers of the California State Chamber of Commerce. One of organizers of Mother Lode baseball league. A native son and one of the state's favorites, there is hardly an activity for the benefit of California and the Mother Lode with which he has not been identified.
To our Supreme Noble Grand Humbug of the Grand Council of E. Clampus Vitus, Inc. this marker is affectionately dedicated this 14th day of October, 1961.
Erected 1961 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 1.659′ N, 120° 30.4′ W. Marker is near Angels Touch for map. Marker is 3.7 miles south of Angels Camp at entrance to Carson Hill Mine. Marker is in this post office area: Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carson Hill (here, next to this marker); James H. Carson (here, next to this marker); Robinson's Ferry (approx. 1.3 miles away); Archie D. Stevenot (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Story Under the Lake (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mark Twain Cabin (approx. 2˝ miles away); a different marker also named Mark Twain Cabin (approx. 2˝ miles away); Parrott’s Ferry (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angels Camp.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. This page has been viewed 1,834 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.