Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grantsburg in Burnett County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Canute Anderson

Father of Burnett County

 

—April 14, 1830 - July 31, 1893 —

 
Canute Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2013
1. Canute Anderson Marker
Inscription. Canute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg area in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his home, he was appointed Postmaster. He married Catherine Nelson, a Swedish immigrant, and to this union twelve children were born. Establishing the Village of Grantsburg, he built a saw and flour mill, store, and hotel. When Burnett County was reorganized he was appointed Clerk of Court by the Governor, and served as presidential elector. Elected to the Assembly, he represented the six northwestern counties. He later helped bring the railroad into Grantsburg. Founder of the original Burnett County Fair, he served as first president of the Burnett County Agricultural Society. In 1860 he built a school at this location, in which the first Swedish Baptist Church in Wisconsin was organized. Later he donated the land and helped organize the St. Olaf Lutheran Church, which is now the Bethany Lutheran Church. At the time of his death he was chairman of the combined townships of Anderson and Grantsburg.
 
Erected 1991 by the Grantsburg Area Historical Society.
 
Location. 45° 43.716′ N, 92° 
Canute Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2013
2. Canute Anderson Marker
Looking southeast. There do not appear to be any buildings as mentioned on the marker.
40.92′ W. Marker is in Grantsburg, Wisconsin, in Burnett County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 48-87 and Assembly Road, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 48-87. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of Bethany Lutheran Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22384 Wis STH 48-87, Grantsburg WI 54840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor Knowles State Forest (approx. 5.6 miles away); Crex Meadows (approx. 10.9 miles away); 1980 Ekdall Church Fire (approx. 11.6 miles away); First Danish Seminary (approx. 13.9 miles away); Danish Dairy Cooperative (approx. 14.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Bethany Lutheran Church. (Submitted on October 12, 2013, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. EducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Canute Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2013
3. Canute Anderson Marker
Bethany Lutheran Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement