Munich, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
The Church of Saint Michael
Erbaut 1583 – 1597
Herzog Wilhelm V.
von Friedrich Sustris
German – English translation:
by Friedrich Sustris
on behalf of
Duke Wilhelm V.
Location. 48° 8.312′ N, 11° 34.203′ E. Marker is in Munich, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Neuhauser Strasse and Ettstrasse, on the left when traveling east on Neuhauser Strasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Neuhauser Strasse 6, Munich, Bavaria 80331, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Gottfried Keller (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Cathedral Church of Our Lady (about 210 meters away); The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane (about 210 meters away); Georg Lankensperger (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Maximilian Joseph - Earl of Montgelas (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission (approx. half a kilometer away); Franz Marc (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Munich.
Also see . . . Geschichte und Aufgabe. The Church's German-language website, including a page of history. On its founding (translated): In 1556 Duke Albrecht V reached an agreement with the Jesuit Order (founded 1540) to build a school of higher learning in Munich. His son, Wilhelm V, had the church and the monastery of St. Michael constructed, 1583-1597. The school and church were operated by the Jesuits until 1773. After that it became the Royal Court Church of St. Michael. From 1921 onwards it has again been operated by the Jesuit Order. After the devastation caused by bombing of November 1944, the church was rebuilt and renovated... (Submitted on September 21, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 451 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 2. submitted on September 21, 2013. 3, 4. submitted on September 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.