Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jenner in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Fort Ross

 
 
Fort Ross Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
1. Fort Ross Marker
Inscription. Founded 1812 by Russians from Sitka. When Russians withdrew to Alaska, 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. Acquired by State in 1906 and remaining buildings restored - Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandants Quarters and Stockade. Now a State historical monument.

Historical Landmark No. 5
Department of Public Works - Division of Highways
 
Erected by Department of Public Works - Division of Highways. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Location. 38° 30.983′ N, 123° 14.783′ W. Marker is near Jenner, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from Highway 1 near Fort Ross Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jenner CA 95450, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. California's First Windmill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); re-creating the Fort Ross Windmill (about 600 feet away); The Call Family Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Russian Village Site - Sloboda (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Native Alaskan Village (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Fort Ross Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
2. Fort Ross Marker
Sandy Beach Cove (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Ross (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Ross Defenses (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jenner.
 
Also see . . .
1. California State Parks - Fort Ross SHP. (Submitted on February 22, 2009, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.)
2. Fort Ross State Historic Park Russian Colony. (Submitted on February 22, 2009, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Fort Ross Visitor Center image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
3. Fort Ross Visitor Center
Fort Ross Welcome Sign image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
4. Fort Ross Welcome Sign
Fort Ross - West Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
5. Fort Ross - West Entrance
Fort Ross - Kuskov House image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
6. Fort Ross - Kuskov House
Fort Ross - Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
7. Fort Ross - Chapel
Fort Ross - Blockhouse and Well image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
8. Fort Ross - Blockhouse and Well
Fort Ross - Canon in the Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
9. Fort Ross - Canon in the Blockhouse
Fort Ross - South Gate image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
10. Fort Ross - South Gate
Fort Ross - Canons image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, February 8, 2009
11. Fort Ross - Canons
with Officials Quarters (L) and Rotchev House (R) in background
Fort Ross Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Hicklin, September 14, 2013
12. Fort Ross Chapel Marker
This plaque is mounted on the wall of the fort, to the left of the chapel and behind the stand that holds the church bell. It reads:

This chapel was a part of the settlement founded by the Russians in 1812 and known as Fort Ross. The fort was in the form of a quadrangle, about 300 feet square, inclosed by a redwood wall, with two blockhouses at opposite corners. Fort Ross contained Fifty-nine buildings, nine of which, including this chapel, were within the inclosure. The Russians withdrew in 1841, selling their improvements and stock to John A. Sutter of Sutter's Fort. Property acquired by the State of California in 1906.

Tablet placed by Historic Landmarks Committee,
Native Sons of the Golden West
1928
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2009, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,286 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on September 24, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on February 22, 2009, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.   12. submitted on September 24, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Entering marker seen in photo #12 with location and coordinates. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement