Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The First Garrett County Courthouse

 
 
The First Garrett County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
1. The First Garrett County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. On December 4, 1872, following a public vote by the residents of Western Maryland, Governor William Pinkney Whyte issued a proclamation establishing a new county, created out of the western-most portion of Allegany County. The new county was named Garrett, in honor of John Work Garrett, President of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. The towns of Oakland, Grantsville, Deer Park, McHenry and Accident all entered the contest to determine which would be selected as the county seat. After a lengthy and sometimes contentious process, Oakland was chosen as the county seat on March 10, 1874. However, because of continuing conflict and fiscal constraints, the county commissioner and circuit court sessions were convened at the Glades Hotel and other sites in town. Finally, on October 14, 1876, the county commissioners authorized the construction of a courthouse and jail. These buildings were erected by Messrs. Burton and Bush, at a cost of approximately $15,000. A brick kiln was established a few blocks south of the site, and approximately 300,000 handmade bricks were used in the construction. Work on the courthouse began on April 11, 1877, and was completed in September. The county commissioners conducted their first meeting in the new courthouse on October 4, 1877.

The modest two-story courthouse served the needs of Garrett County for
The First Garrett County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
2. The First Garrett County Courthouse Marker
thirty-one years, until the present courthouse was constructed. On may 12, 1907 the contract for the new courthouse was awarded to Mr. W. A. Liller of Keyser, West Virginia, his bid being $60,962. Work on the new courthouse began in May, 1907 and was completed in November, 1908. The original courthouse was later enlarged and became Oakland High School, continuing as such until 1953 when Southern High School was built. The old building then served as offices for the Garrett County Board of Education for a number of years, and was torn down in 2002.

The original courthouse was located one block north of this marker sign, on the northeast corner of Fourth and Green Streets.
 
Location. 39° 24.453′ N, 79° 24.385′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on E. Alder Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the E. Alder Street side of the Garrett County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cobbler Shop In 1859 (within shouting distance of this marker); Rasche Blacksmith Shop (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Bit of History - The Fireside (about 600 feet away);
The First Garrett County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
3. The First Garrett County Courthouse
Close-up of photo on marker
Welcome to Dailey’s Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garrett Memorial Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Glades Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Railroad Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); MaryLandscapes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Categories. GovernmentSettlements & Settlers
 
Oakland Town Logo<br>A Great Small Town image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
4. Oakland Town Logo
A Great Small Town
Close-up of image on marker
Working Women Monument image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
5. Working Women Monument
(nearby)
Working Women Monument image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
6. Working Women Monument
In This
Bicentennial Year
This Memorial is
Dedicated to all
Working Women of
All Times
by
The Garrett County
Business and Professional
Women;s Club
August 25, 1976
National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs<br>1919 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 23, 2013
7. National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs
1919
Close-up of seal on monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement