Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the 1880's Mr J.M. Litzinger operated a confectionery and Music Store next to the depot, selling all kinds of musical instruments, including pianos and organs. In the 1890's this building was converted into the Schley Hotel. Inside the hotel was the Railroad Street Restaurant and R. S. Jamison's Eureka Saloon. In 1906 the Schley Hotel was purchased by Edward Frantz and renamed the Hotel Franz.
Proceeding down the tracks there was the G.W. Delawder meat market and Charles Newman's confectionery/newsstand. In the 1890's this building housed Martin's lunch room, advertising a free lunch every
Further south was Henry Felty's green grocery, John Robinson's dental office, and J. D. Taggart's confectionery. The original Hinebaugh's Restaurant was located in the Felty Building. At the point where Wilson's Creek flows under the railroad track there was a small building set on posts above the creek, containing a Barber Shop, and later a Cobbler's Shop.
Near the center of Railroad Street was the impressive "Offutt's Big Store", which could be entered both from Railroad Street and Second Street. Further south, where the stone chimney now stands, was J. J. Reynold's Café and Saloon, later named Oakland Saloon and Pool Hall.
Nearing the railroad crossing a pedestrian would find a drug store, known successively as Casteel's Drug Store, Myer's Drug Store and the Oakland Pharmacy (operated by Joseph Harned). Closer to the crossing was William Malette's green grocery store and F. G. Hyde's Jewelry store.
With the advent of the automobile and diminishing of the railroad passenger traffic, the businesses along the railroad were ultimately dissolved, the boardwalks were torn up, and Railroad Street faded into history.
Location. 39° 24.58′ N, 79° 24.525′ Touch for map. The marker is in the parking lot between the train station and 125 E. Liberty Street. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Glades Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); 1884 Oakland Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Dailey’s Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Oakland (within shouting distance of this marker); MaryLandscapes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Bit of History - The Fireside (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.