Evansport in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Evansport is named after brothers Amos and Albert G. Evans who, with Jacob Coy, had the village surveyed next to the Tiffin River on December 14, 1835. The "port" suffix in Evansport's name reflects the river's significance as a transportation thoroughfare. Evansport's early growth was spurred by its mills powered by the Tiffin River. The mills provided settlers with lumber for buildings and supplied flour and cornmeal for sustenance and commerce. Settlers who poured into Williams County's northern townships in the 1830s agitated debate about moving the county seat to a more centralized location. Evansport was platted as a possible site for the county seat. The Williams County seat was moved to Bryan in 1840 and in 1845 Defiance County was created, leaving Evansport on the Williams-Defiance county line.
Evansport reached its peak around 1880 with a population of more than 300 residents. The town featured fine residences, Methodist Episcopal and United Brethren churches, Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges, and a variety of business including blacksmiths, coopers (barrel makers), general stores, a wagon maker and gunsmith. Bypassed by railroads and major highways, Evansport, like many 19th century rural economic centers, became a bedroom community with a rich heritage. For many
Erected 2010 by Stryker Area Heritage Council, Evansport Terquasquicentennial Committee, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 25.453′ N, 84° 23.795′ W. Marker is in Evansport, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1258 Main Street, Evansport OH 43519, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Draining the Great Black Swamp (approx. 5.3 miles away); Stryker Depot (approx. 5½ miles away); Stryker's Railroad Heritage (approx. 5½ miles away); Stryker (approx. 5.7 miles away); Richard E. Schreder (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Ohio Art Company (approx. 8.2 miles away); Casimir Pulaski (approx. 8.2 miles away); Rail Speed Record (approx. 9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.