Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In July 1924, Jesse Karrick constructed this building as a "General Merchandise Store & Grocery". In 1933, he added a $500 stock of dry goods. The whole family assisted Karrick in the business until the senior Karrick retired in 1947 and then his son operated the business until closed in 1963.
Jesse Karrick became the first fire chief since his business was near the fire station. On August 11, 1916 the first pumper, mounted on a trailer, was purchased. If a car could not be found then men walked or pulled the trailer. Karrick said, "It seldom made it. One time the fire truck overturned in Horse Creek. Another time it fell into Elbow Creek, and it burned one time. Actually, the hand bucket brigade did a better job".
Location. 28° 7.869′ N, 80° 37.651′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on Highland Avenue north of Bud Yeager Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1490 Highland Avenue, Melbourne FL 32935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old City Hall Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Downtown Eau Gallie (within shouting distance of this marker); Highland and St. Clair Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Population on the Rise (about 400 feet away); Ginter Building (about 400 feet away); Corner of Highland and Eau Gallie Blvd. (about 400 feet away); Harbor City Hotel (about 400 feet away); Eau Gallie Public Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Regarding Karrick's Grocery. The wording "Karrick 1924" is still visible on the top front of the building.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 408 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.