Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Union in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Connecticut Farms

 
 
Connecticut Farms Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., August 14, 2010
1. Connecticut Farms Marker
Inscription. Here stood the Presbyterian Church and here was fought the battle, June 7, 1780, between American forces under General Maxwell and Colonel Dayton and the British army on its advance to Springfield. The church and village were burned by the British during their retreat.

June 23, 1780, the British second advance here formed into two columns and moved to Springfield, where they were repulsed.

Erected by the State of New Jersey A.D. 1905
 
Erected 1905 by State of New Jersey.
 
Location. 40° 41.548′ N, 74° 16.387′ W. Marker is in Union, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Stuyvesant Avenue and Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Stuyvesant Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union NJ 07083, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Connecticut Farms (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Connecticut Farms (here, next to this marker); Washington’s Headquarters (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mass Grave of British and Hessian Troops
Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
2. Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church
Rev. James Caldwell, "the Fighting Parson," was minister of the church in 1780. His wife, Hannah, was killed by a stray bullet during the battle.
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pearl Harbor Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jahn's Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor (approx. ¼ mile away); Caldwell’s Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
 
Regarding Connecticut Farms. The village of Connecticut Farms got its name because the first settlers were from Connecticut.
 
Also see . . .  The Battles of Connecticut Farms and Springfield. (Submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Revolutionary
 
Present church and cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
3. Present church and cemetery
Among those buried in the Presbyterian Church Cemetery are a number of American, British and Hessian soldiers who died in the Battles of Connecticut Farms and Springfield.
Connecticut Farms Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., August 14, 2010
4. Connecticut Farms Marker
Marker is to the right of the center set of doors.
Marker on Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 2, 2010
5. Marker on Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church
The marker is seen here to the right of the center doorway of the Presbyterian Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 19, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4. submitted on August 19, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   5. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement