Hurtsboro in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Joel Hurt House
The home was built in 1857 by the founder of Hurtsboro, Joel Hurt, Sr. (1813-1861) and his wife, Lucy Long Hurt (1822-1915). Their saw mill, constructed near Hurtsboro Creek, provided lumber for the home and surrounding community. With the addition of the Mobile & Girard Railroad, the town of Hurtsboro was established and flourished. One of the Hurt's eleven children, Joel Hurt, Jr. (1850-1926) resided here as a child and later played a major role in the architectural development of Atlanta, Georgia. The home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Location. 32° 14.424′ N, 85° 24.709′ W. Marker is in Hurtsboro, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Road and Railroad Street (County Route 20), on the right when traveling north on Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Church Road, Hurtsboro AL 36860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Long Family (a few steps from this marker); Hurtsboro United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uchee / Good Hope Baptist Church, Uchee (approx. 8.3 miles away); Uchee Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); St. Peter A.M.E. Church Cemetery (approx. 12 miles away); Midway Baptist Church (approx. 12.7 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 12.8 miles away); First Baptist Missionary Church 1875 (approx. 13.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hurtsboro.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 5. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.