Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Panaca in Lincoln County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Panaca Spring

 
 
Panaca Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 4, 2013
1. Panaca Spring Marker
Inscription. The large and constant flow of sweet, warm water from this spring makes possible the desert oasis of Meadow Valley. First noted by Manley's ill-fated Death Valley Party in 1849, the site was cultivated in 1858 by Brigham Young's White Mountain Mission men, who sought a desert refuge should U.S. persecution of Mormons occur in Utah. The site was abandoned that same year when this issue was resolved.

Dependent on these spring waters, Mormons built the first permanent settlement in southern Nevada at Panaca in 1864. For 80 years this water was used for all domestic purposes.

The Meadow Valley Mining District, including the Pioche area, was organized in 1864 with its center at Panaca Spring.
 
Erected by State Historic Preservation Office. (Marker Number 160.)
 
Location. 37° 47.737′ N, 114° 23.104′ W. Marker is in Panaca, Nevada, in Lincoln County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and C Street, on the left when traveling north on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panaca NV 89042, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clover Valley Mountains Steam Engine/Sawmill (a few steps from this marker); Panaca Ward Chapel
Panaca Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 4, 2013
2. Panaca Spring Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Panaca Mercantile (approx. 0.4 miles away); Panaca (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cathedral Gorge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bullionville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Miller's Point / Cathedral Gorge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Wheeler Monument (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panaca.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Town of Panaca. The Chamber of Commerce website offers information and history. Mormon missionaries and settlers arrived in Eastern Nevada in May of 1864 with hopes of establishing a network of growing colonies in the area. (Submitted on October 22, 2013.) 

2. New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar, readability, and content. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the
Panaca Spring Marker (on right) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 4, 2013
3. Panaca Spring Marker (on right)
Clover Valley Mountains Steam Engine Marker (on the left).
amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement