Cresson in Hood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cresson, like many of the rural communities surrounding it, started its school programs in one-room schoolhouses. Cresson's was located just west of this site and was torn down in 1890 when a two-story frame structure was erected here. This schoolhouse was used until 1918, when it was replaced by a larger, red brick building that burned years later in October 1930. Students attended classes at local churches while the school district worked to build a new schoolhouse.
The M.l. Wallace & Co. architectural firm from Dallas served as designer, and county school superintendent Victor B. Penuel chose the appearance for the new school building. The yellow-brick, mission revival schoolhouse was completed in 1931, with an auditorium and four large classrooms. Design elements include cartouches and decorative elements in window surrounds. Fund-raisers held during subsequent years added a kitchen and indoor
After Cresson consolidated with Granbury schools in 1967, the school building sat abandoned; a community group organized in the late 1970s to work for its restoration. Today, the school serves as a community center and as a link to Cresson's early educational programs.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13144.)
Location. 32° 31.869′ N, 97° 37.261′ W. Marker is in Cresson, Texas, in Hood County. Marker is at the intersection of Pittsburgh Street and North Crook Street, on the right when traveling west on Pittsburgh Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9304 Pittsburgh St, Cresson TX 76035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 7.9 miles away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.