Soulsbyville in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Young Ben was much excited and wanted to stake a claim at once. However since he was too young his father took it up for him. The mine was called the Soulsby Mine. People settled here making a large camp which was later called Soulsbyville. The mine, one of the first hardrock mines in Tuolumne Co., was worked exclusively by Cornish miners. Between 60 and 70 "Cousin Jacks" as they were known, were employed here. Veins of gold bearing ore ran 12" wide to a depth of 650' requiring the operation of 2 Ingersoll and 2 Darlington drills along with a 15 stamp mill.
By May, 1877 the town had 2 general stores, a meat market, school, church, 3 booming saloons and several boarding houses.
Erected 1986 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 59.098′ N, 120° 15.824′ W. Marker is in Soulsbyville, California, in Touch for map. Original Soulsbyville marker is across the street. Marker is in this post office area: Soulsbyville CA 95372, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Soulsbyville (within shouting distance of this marker); Cherokee (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ralph’s Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); Westside Flume & Lumber Company (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Joseph Lord House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hose Cart House (approx. 2 miles away); Tuolumne (formerly called Summersville) (approx. 2.1 miles away); West Side Memorial Park (approx. 2.2 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2008, by Richard Wisehart of Sonora, California. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.