Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Tennessee's Second Oldest County
The first Sullivan County officials were: Col. Isaac Shelby, Commandant; Henry Clark, Lieutenant-Colonel; David Looney First Major; John Shelby, Second Major; John Rhea, Court Clerk, Nathan Clark, High Sheriff; Court Justices-Isaac Shelby, David Looney, Gilbert Christian, Anthony Bledsoe, George Maxwell, John Anderson, Joseph Martin.
Sullivan County remained part of North Carolina until 1789 (some county areas supported the Franklin State movement 1784-1786), when it was placed in the United States Territory south of the river Ohio. In 1796 it became part of Tennessee.
Erected 1979 by Sullivan County to Commemorate its 200th birthday.
Location. 36° 31.985′ N, 82° 19.601′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Bristol Highway (Tennessee Route 126) west of Anderson Road Touch for map. The marker is wall-mounted on the right side of the entrance to the Sullivan County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3425 Tennessee 126, Blountville TN 37617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Blountville (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (a few steps from this marker); Old Deery Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson Townhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph Blizard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cannonball House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.