Lutherstadt Wittenberg in Wittenberg District, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
Corpus Christi Chapel / Fronleichnamskapelle
This chantry chapel was built in 1368 by Konrad Wynmann, one of the city fathers. It was destroyed, but rebuilt in 1456 under the auspices of Georg Zülsdorf. It was from here that on November 28th, 1518, Martin Luther appealed to Pope Leo X to set up a council to hear the case aginst [sic] him as a heretic. Up until 1772 the chapel was used for funeral services prior to burial in the churchyard. From 1913 to 1928 the chapel housed the Wittenberg Museum of Local History. Today the Corpus Christi Chapel is used regularly by the congregation of the [T]own [C]hurch for prayer.
Die Kapelle ist eine Stiftung des Wittenberger Ratsherrn Konrad Wynmann aus dem Jahre 1368. Nach ihrer Zerstörung ermöglichte Georg Zülsdorf im Jahre 1456 den Wiederaufbau. Am 28. November 1518 appellierte Martin Luther von hier aus an Papst Leo X., er möge ein Konzil einberufen, das über seinen Ketzerprozess entscheidet. Bis 1772 wurde die Kapelle für Gottesdienste anlässlich von Begräbnissen auf dem Friedhof rund um die Kirche genutzt. Von 1913 bis 1928 befand sich hier das Wittenberger Heimatmuseum. Heute ist die Fronleichnamskapelle regelmäßig genutzter Gebetsraum der Stadtkirchengemeinde.
Erected by Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Location. 51° 51.978′ N, 12° 38.699′ E. Marker is in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, in Wittenberg District. Touch for map. Marker and chapel are immediately south of the Town Church (Stadtkirche St. Marien), east of the Marktplatz (market plaza). Marker is in this post office area: Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt 06886, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Beyer Courty (within shouting distance of this marker); Wittenberg's Water-Piping System (within shouting distance of this marker); Cranach-Hof (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Martin Luther (about 90 meters away); Philipp Melanchthon (about 120 meters away); Mains Water Well on the Market Square (about 120 meters away); Lucas Cranach (about 150 meters away); a different marker also named Cranach-Hof (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
Also see . . .
1. Town Church of St. Mary's, Wittenberg. (Submitted on October 25, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Martin Luther. (Submitted on October 25, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Martin Luther. (Submitted on October 25, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.