Evan in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The first store was opened in "Evan" by Martin Norseth in 1885. Peter Hansen of Sleepy Eye erected a grain elevator the same year. A creamery association was formed in 1895 and a large creamery plant was constructed.
On March 22, 1904 the village was incorporated under the name of Evan. The first officers elected were: H.P. Tharkeldsen, president; Jens Mikaelsen, Lars Lamp and H.L. Hansen, councilmen; J.C. Forster, treasurer and Jens D. Hansen, recorder. The village was to include 640 acres and had a population of 142.
At the time of incorporation businesses in Evan included a bank, two general stores, a hardware store, lumberyard, blacksmith shop, stock dealer, garage, implement dealer, three elevators, a restaurant and the Light and Power Co. It also had a library and two churches.
Erected 1987 by the Brown County Historical Society.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is at the Evan Village Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Morgan MN 56266, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cobden (approx. 4.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Golden Gate (approx. 6.4 miles away); Golden Gate Mill Stones (approx. 6.4 miles away); Chief Sleepy Eyes (approx. 7 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); Dakota Reservation and the Leavenworth Road (approx. 7½ miles away); A Second Wave of Attacks (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Evan, Minnesota. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 29, 2013.)
2. Evan Street Map. (Submitted on October 29, 2013.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 372 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.