Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Congregation Rodeph Sholom

 
 
Congregation Rodeph Sholom Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 25, 2013
1. Congregation Rodeph Sholom Marker
Inscription. Congregation Rodeph Sholom, Tampa's oldest Conservative congregation, was founded in 1903, at the home of J. L. Mairson, with 20 families. The goal was to serve the Jewish community by providing a religious, educational and social gathering place in the "true spirit of Judaism." Rodeph Sholom grew from a small building on Palm Avenue in Ybor City to a larger structure on the same grounds in 1909. A permanent building was constructed in 1936. The Ladies Auxiliary and Brotherhood organizations were formed in 1917. In 1918, the Religious School was organized to offer children a Jewish education. With continued growth of Tampa's Jewish population, Rodeph Sholom constructed its current facility on Bayshore Boulevard in 1969. In 1994, an educational facility was added on the same grounds. The congregation has a history rich with tradition and will serve Tampa's Conservative Jewish community for many years to come.
 
Erected 2004 by Congregation Rodeph Sholom, The Hillsborough County Historic Advisory Council and The Tampa Historical Society.
 
Location. 27° 55.256′ N, 82° 29.343′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on Bayshore Blvd near West Barcelona Street, on the right when traveling south
Congregation Rodeph Sholom Marker, at far left, along southbound Bayshore Blvd image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 25, 2013
2. Congregation Rodeph Sholom Marker, at far left, along southbound Bayshore Blvd






. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2713 Bayshore Blvd, Tampa FL 33629, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Convent of the Holy Names (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kate Jackson Recreation Center (approx. 1.2 miles away); Congregation Schaari Zedek (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Hyde Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Alfred Reuben Swann (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dobyville (approx. 1.7 miles away); Battlefield (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement