Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial

1856 – 2006

 
 
San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 5, 2013
1. San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial Marker
Inscription.

First founded by Spanish missionary Father Junipero Serra on September 1, 1772, this dusty mission town of San Luis Obispo was incorporated as general law city on February 19, 1856.

Today, the City of San Luis Obispo serves as the commercial, governmental and cultural hub of San Luis Obispo County. This plaque was dedicated on October 21, 2006 by the Native Sons of the Golden West in recognition of San Luis Obispo’s achievements and to celebrate its 150-year anniversary.

Dedicated October 21, 2006
by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
J. Michael Anthony, Grand President
Parlor #290 San Luis Obispo

Seal of the Natives Sons of the Golden West (right) and the City of San Luis Obispo (left).
 
Erected 2006 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 35° 16.954′ N, 120° 39.755′ W. Marker is in San Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Palm Street and Osos Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 5, 2013
2. San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General John C. Fremont (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First County Court House (about 300 feet away); J. P. Andrews Building (about 400 feet away); “Love” and “Double Joy” (about 500 feet away); Site of Ah Louis Store (about 600 feet away); Chong's Candy Store (about 700 feet away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
 
Also see . . .  A Little More History - City of San Luis Obispo. The lifestyle of the Mexican Californios prevailed into the early 1860s, when a severe drought destroyed the cattle herds on the ranchos. Families such as the Picos and the Estradas sold much of their land to Anglo newcomers, including the Steele brothers, George Hearst, and Patrick Murphy. (Submitted on November 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement