Uniontown in Perry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Church of the Holy Cross
May 1844 - Episcopalians in Uniontown and Marengo County united to form Union Parish. The parish was admitted to the Diocese of Alabama on May 2, 1845. After the donation of this site in 1847, ladies of the congregation diligently worked to raise sufficient funds for the construction of the first church. Although incomplete for many years, services were first held here in January 1848 for the black and white communicants. In 1853 Union Parish divided and the Marengo County parishioners formed St. Michael’s Parish in Faunsdale. In 1863 Church of the Holy Cross was consecrated by Bishop R.H. Wilmer. In 1900 the frame building was replaced by a brick church through the generosity of Mrs. Maria Price Davidson as a memorial to her late husband, Alexander C. Davidson.
Erected 2004 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 27.078′ N, 87° 31.013′ W. Marker is in Uniontown, Alabama, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and Old Greensboro Road, on the left when traveling east on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Franklin Street, Uniontown AL 36786, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Gables (approx. one mile away); St. Michael's Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard (approx. 5˝ miles away); Freetown (approx. 9.2 miles away); Bethel Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 10˝ miles away); Bethel Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 10˝ miles away); Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar (approx. 11˝ miles away); St. Andrew’s Church (approx. 11˝ miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.