Gatesville in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
For a few months Fort Gates served as county seat, but then Gatesville was chosen. The County's first mail line—from Gatesville to Belton—was set up in 1855. The town grew slowly at first, suffering from intermittent Indian raids, but the period from 1870 to 1882 saw great progress.
In 1870 the town was incorporated and in 1872 a courthouse was built. When St. Louis & Southwestern railroad ran a spur line to Gatesville in 1882, the citizens held a gala welcoming celebration.
With the railroad came prosperity and many new homes and businesses. A fine opera house, frontier symbol of culture, was erected and numerous civic improvements were initiated.
Today the town is the home of the Gatesville and Mountain View State schools for boys. The economy of the area is based on ranching and agriculture.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2113.)
Location. Touch for map. In front of Gatesville City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 N 8th Street, Gatesville TX 76528, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hammack Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1904 Leon River Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wood Cemetery (approx. 12 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.