Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
As the U.S. Army modernized at the turn of the 20th century, so too did its military posts. In the stratified society of this period, separate and distinct areas for the various classes of individuals were developed. The Army was little different, officers and their families sat at the top of the ladder. Provided with all possible modern conveniences, including electricity, the officers were quartered in ten large houses facing Mobile Bay. In addition, the Army provided them such diversions as tennis court and an officer’s only bathing area on the beach. Anchoring the western most end of Officer’s Row, the Post Administration Building and Guard House provided the shortest possible walk for officers to the center of post activity.
Of the original structures constructed in officer’s row, only three remain today. Amongst these were the Post Administration Building constructed in 1898, the kitchen section of a Company Officer’s Quarters constructed in 1910, and a Single Set Officer’s Quarters constructed in 1902. The remainder of the structures were lost through a combination of gradual decline, fire, demolition, and hurricanes in the years following Fort Morgan Military Reservation’s closing in 1944.
Location. 30° 13.863′ N, 88° 1.123′ W. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park about 300 yards past the park's entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battery Lincoln (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Shells Were Bursting All Around Us" (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865 (approx. ¼ mile away); Colors of Significance: Historic Flags of Mobile Point (approx. ¼ mile away); The Overland Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Post Hospital Complex (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pride of Seven Flags (approx. ¼ mile away); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on November 9, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 9, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.