Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
West Galveston Island
Humane and civilized traffic afterward found its way here. Stagecoach service was established in the 1850's from Galveston to Old Velasco (now Freeport) on a West Beach road, with a ferry at San Luis Pass. An important lace manufacturing concern was located here, and by 1885 the Galveston & Western Railway carried visitors by the hundreds to a race track near the center of the island.
Since 1957 West Island has rapidly become a major recreational and resort area, with leisure homes fronting the Gulf, the canals and the bay. There is still enough wilderness to attract migratory shore birds; more than 95 per cent of the known species in America annually spend some time on this island.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee.
Location. 29° 11.856′ Touch for map. Located in Galveston Island State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lafitte's Grove (approx. 1.4 miles away); Karankawa Campsite (approx. 2 miles away); Galveston "News", C.S.A. (approx. 7.9 miles away); Campbell's Bayou (approx. 7.9 miles away); Civil War Fortifications at Virginia Point (approx. 7.9 miles away); Original Site of St. Mary's Orphan Asylum (approx. 8.4 miles away); Rosewood Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Italian Vault (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.