Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Kate Jackson Recreation Center
Kate Veronica Jackson
Born January 13, 1857 - Died December 11, 1940
Kate Jackson deeded this property to Sacred Heart Catholic Church which later sold it to the city. The recreation center was named for her in recognition of her seminal efforts toward the development of Tampa's first public playgrounds under trained directors. She is entitled to credit for the acquisition of Tampa's first public playground and contributed a "considerable sum of money to its equipment," according to former Mayor D.B. McKay, in office in 1910. She was an organizer and first president of Tampa Civic Association, formed in 1911, which carried forward strenuous campaigns for playgrounds, city clean-up, a public library, better streets and beautification--"cultivating higher ideals of civic life and beauty" (her words).
Erected by Heirs Catherine Carty Cunningham, Lula Joughin Dovi and George Jackson.
Location. 27° 56.083′ N, 82° 28.618′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on South Rome Avenue near West Bristol Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 821 South Rome Avenue, Tampa FL 33606, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hyde Park (about 800 feet away); Alfred Reuben Swann (approx. ¼ mile away); Dobyville (approx. half a mile away); Spanishtown Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); Jessamine Flowers Link (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hutchinson House (approx. one mile away); Plant Field (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.