Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Booker T. Washington School

 
 
Booker T. Washington School Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 27, 2013
1. Booker T. Washington School Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Serving the African-American students of Arlington, Booker T. Washington School was a vital institution in the city. It had its roots in Arlington’s first black school, which was in place by the 1890s. The school served the growing African-American community known as The Hill, located northwest of the original town boundaries. The Church of God in Christ furnished additional class space as needed.

In 1902, the school became part of the newly formed Arlington Independent School District. George Stevens and Gloria Echols were appointed as teachers, with Stevens also serving as principal; both lived in the neighborhood and are noted for their impact in the lives of their young students. The original school building was replaced after a severe 1903 storm. Students attended the school until eighth grade, at which point they went to I.M. Terrell High School in Fort Worth.

A new facility opened at 500 Houston Street in 1954, officially named for educator Booker T. Washington. The building had eight classrooms, an administrative office, and a cafeteria; a gymnasium was added later. George Stevens continued to serve as principal of the institution. In 1965, Arlington public schools began full desegregation. Booker T. Washington School closed and became Veda Knox School, a facility for students with special education needs.
Booker T. Washington School Marker with Green Oaks School sign image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 27, 2013
2. Booker T. Washington School Marker with Green Oaks School sign
It was later renamed the Metro Math and Science Academy. Today, Booker T. Washington school is remembered as an iconic institution in The Hill, providing students with skills and education that would help them achieve success in their personal and professional lives.
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16313.)
 
Location. 32° 44.465′ N, 97° 6.769′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and Taylor Street, on the right when traveling east on West Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Houston Street, Arlington TX 76011, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. half a mile away); Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. 2.6 miles away); Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 2.6 miles away); Harrison Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Regarding Booker T. Washington School. The school is known as Green Oaks School (2013).
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement