Oak Ridge in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Erected in Memory of New Bethel Baptist Church
Opened 1851 - Closed 1942
Church building Stood 47 feet in front of this stone In Memory of our Dead
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things are passed away. Rev. 21:4
Board of Deacons
J.F. Diggs, Chairman
W. M. Thacker
New Bethel Baptist Church was organized and opened its doors in 1851. The doors were closed De. 1942 when church property was bought by the U.S. Government in the Oak Ridge Development. The church having been left in extended session from 1942, this monument was dedicated and the final church session closed at Memorial Day Services May 29, 1949.
Location. 35° 56.035′ N, 84° 18.322′ W. Marker is in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is on Bethel Valley Road 0.1 miles west of Melton Valley Access Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is behind the church in front of the Bethel Cemetery inside
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Ridge (approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Poplar Creek Seminary (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Wheat Community (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Robertsville Community (approx. 5.7 miles away but has been reported missing); The Scarboro Community (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Emery Road (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Oak Ridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Campbell Station Inn (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oak Ridge.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.