Idaho Falls in Bonneville County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
James Madison Taylor (a relative of Presidents Madison and Taylor and a founder of Denver, Colorado) settled here in 1864 to develop an improved route for his freight line from Salt Lake to Montana’s new gold mines. After his bridge was built, telegraph service reached here, July 16, 1866 an Eagle Rock (as Idaho Falls was known until 1890) became a regional transportation center. A railroad bridge was built adjacent to Taylor’s bridge in 1879.
Erected by Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 223.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 29.514′ N, 112° 2.634′ W. Marker is in Idaho Falls, Idaho, in Bonneville County. Marker is on South Capitol Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Idaho Falls ID 83402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eagle Rock Ferry (here, next to this marker); Snake River Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of marker and its surrounding • Can you help?