Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gainesville’s Only Artesian Spring
Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years.
In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of Florida to locate here.
Abandoned in 1948, upon the completion of a water treatment plant, water from the springs now flows onto Paynes Prairie providing a habitat for a diversity of birds, animals, fish and reptiles.
Location. 29° 37.24′ N, 82° 18.425′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker can be reached from Southeast 15th Street 0.1 miles south of Southeast 32nd Place, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Boulware Springs Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3300 Southeast 15th Street, Gainesville FL 32641, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boulware Springs Water Works Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesse Johnson Finley (approx. 0.7 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Matheson House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Serenola Plantation Spanish Cattle Ranching (approx. 2.4 miles away); Alachula County Courthouse (approx. 2.4 miles away); East Florida Seminary (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.