College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
College Park Airport
First Military Airport In The United States
1909 - Wilbur Wright instructed first flying officers of Signal Corps, U. S. Army
1911 - First Army flying school established here
First bombsite tested from an aircraft
1912 - First group cross country flight originated here. Destination Chevy Chase, MD
First machine gun fired from an aircraft
First radio message sent from an aircraft
1922 - First flight of a helicopter made by Henry Berliner
One of the first points of origin for United States Air Mail.
Erected 1961 by College Park Rotary Club.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 38° 58.764′ N, 76° 55.398′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Corporal Frank Scott Drive near Litton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Park Airport: “Oldest Continually Operated in the World” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of College Park (approx. Dervey Augusta Lomax (approx. 0.7 miles away); Calvert Hills: A National Register Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away); "From Stagecoach to Streetcar to Subway: A College Town Emerges" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to the Luther Goldman Birding Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); "The University of Maryland Is Deeply Rooted in History" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Charlton Avenue (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
More about this marker. These pictures were taken with Elite Chrome 200 film and scanned into JPEG files.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • 20th Century • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,443 times since then. Last updated on December 18, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 25, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.