Fort Myer in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Flight of an Airplane on a U.S. Army Installation
This Wright Brothers’ Flyer
(Panel 1: topside of monument)
First Flight of an Airplane
U.S. Army Installation
September 3, 1908
(Panel 2: east face of monument)
Built under an Army Signal Corps
contract was repeatedly test-flown
from these grounds during
September 3-17, 1908
The airplane, Orville Wright at the
controls, took off near this point on
the Fort Myer parade ground on the
first flight, September 8, 1908
Dedicated by the U.S. Army
September 3, 1958
(Rendering of the Wright Flyer in flight)
Erected 1958 by U.S. Army.
Location. 38° 52.909′ N, 77° 4.936′ W. Marker is in Fort Myer, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Sheridan Avenue and Reba Place, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker panels are on the lawn north of the Army aviation memorial - at the west edge of Summerall Field (parade ground); and adjacent to the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Myer VA 22211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Famous Firsts in Aeronautics at Fort Myer (here, next to this marker); Thomas Etholen Selfridge (here, next to this marker); Centennial of Military Aviation (a few steps from this marker); The Commander in Chief's Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Myer Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Whipple (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); World’s First Public Passenger Flight (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Myer.
Additional keywords. Summerall Field
Categories. • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.