Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The original town was almost completely surrounded by water, access by land was limited to a single road which later became Church Street (now Lower St. Paul's Boulevard). The town covered what is now the southern portion of downtown Norfolk, bounded generally by the river on the south and west, City Hall Avenue on the north and interstate 264 on the east.
The cannon displayed here were unearthed in 1982 from Otter Berth and Town Point Park. They are of Revolutionary War vintage and are of unknown foreign origin. The carriages were constructed of white oak to 18th century specifications by members of the Norfoks Rotary Club.
Erected 1986 by Norfolk Rotary Club.
Location. 36° Touch for map. Along the Elizabeth River Trail in Town Point Park. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navy Escort Carriers Based in Norfolk (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Battle of Ironclad Ships, 1862 (about 400 feet away); The Customhouse, 1859 (about 500 feet away); Four Farthing or Town Point (about 500 feet away); Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (about 500 feet away); Armed Forces Memorial (about 500 feet away); Main Street (about 600 feet away); Flood Protection for Downtown Norfolk (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Also see . . . The Savage Chronicles. The original feoffees hired one John Ferebee, surveyor, to plat out the fifty acres so that the town land could be sold in an orderly manner. Ferebee had arrived some years earlier from the little town of Chipping Camden, in the Cotswolds. By October, 1680, Ferebeeís plat was ready for recording. It showed a planned community with 51 lots, as well as the one or two existing structures, most notably the Parish Church. Ferebee (Submitted on December 26, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 26, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.