Derry-Londonderry in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
This was one of the four original gates of 1617. It was initially called the 'Nugate' or King's Gate, later being renamed Butcher Gate after the nearby meat market and slaughterhouse. The gate was nearly destroyed by cannon fire during the 1689 siege. The present gate, built in the 1800s, is nearly twice the height of the original.
Location. 54° 59.769′ N, 7° 19.396′ W. Marker is in Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in County Londonderry. Marker is at the intersection of Magazine Street and Butcher Street, on the right when traveling west on Magazine Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the interior of the city wall. Marker is in this post office area: Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland BT48 6HL, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Butcher Gate (here, next to this marker); The Platform (within shouting distance of this marker); Castle Gate (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); World Wars Memorial (about 90 meters away); Grand Parade (about 120 meters away); a different marker also named Castle Gate (about 120 meters away); Austins Department Store (about 120 meters away); Royal Bastion (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Derry-Londonderry.
Also see . . .
1. History of Derry, Ireland. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Walls of Derry. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.