Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Derry-Londonderry in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
 

The Platform

 
 
The Platform Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 18, 2012
1. The Platform Marker
Inscription.

The Apprentice Boys
From the early 18th century clubs have celebrated the role of the 13 apprentices who locked the gates of the city in December, 1688 rather than admit the new Jacobite garrison. Local architect, John Guy Ferguson, designed The Apprentice Boys' Memorial Hall in the mid 1870s. The 1937 extension in Society Street was dedicated to those who died in the First World War. The Hall houses the headquarters of the Apprentice Boys of Derry Association. Every December the Apprentice Boys celebrate the locking of the gates and, in August, the relief of the 1689 siege.

The Beaux' Stratagem
Famous playwright, George Farquhar was a pupil at the school in what is now Society Street. In 1617, Mathias Springham, Master of the Merchant Taylors' Company had set up a free school to 'the honour of God and the spreading of good literature'. Born in Shipquay Street in 1678 Farquhar may have witnessed the 1689 siege as a child: his last play 'The Beaux' Stratagem' of 1707 reveals his knowledge of these tumultuous times.

Psalms and Sermons
Many Scots settled in the Plantation city, introducing their own simple form of worship. In 1690 Queen Mary donated money towards the first meeting place on this site to reward the bravery of the Presbyterians during the siege. In the 18th century
The Platform Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 18, 2012
2. The Platform Marker
First Derry Presbyterian Church in background
many parishioners emigrated to North America to escape the Penal Laws. These deprived members of faiths other than the Church of Ireland of many civil and economic rights. The First Presbyterian Church was rebuilt on a much grander scale in 1777, its present frontage being added in 1903.
 
Location. 54° 59.74′ N, 7° 19.44′ W. Marker is in Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in County Londonderry. Touch for map. Marker is on the city wall walking path along Upper Magazine Street, about 30 meters NE of Society Street and west opposite the First Derry Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland BT48 6HY, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Parade (within shouting distance of this marker); Butcher Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Butcher Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Royal Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker Memorial Pillar (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); St Columba (about 120 meters away); World Wars Memorial (about 120 meters away); SeŠn Keenan / ” CianŠin (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Derry-Londonderry.
 
Also see . . .
1. Derry's Walls: The Great Siege of 1689. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. First Derry Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Playwright George Farquhar. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Apprentice Boys of Derry. (Submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicChurches, Etc.Man-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement