Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylorsville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Taylorsville High School

1900 - 1966

 
 
Taylorsville High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, December 27, 2013
1. Taylorsville High School Marker
Inscription. In 1900, while Georgia was struggling to organize a system of schools, Taylorsville citizens founded the first free high school in Bartow County. Leaders included W. D. Trippe, Sr.; W. M Dorsey; W. P Harris, Sr.; W. m Trippe; E. O. Davis; L. W. Jolly; P. M. Rhodes and John Dorsey. In 1922, seven years before Bartow County established high schools, the first of over 660 diplomas was awarded. In 1926, a $10,000 bond built a 5 room brick building to replace the original 3 room frame structure that burned. In 1937, following consolidation with 4 small schools, citizens approved a $17,000 bond and obtained $13,010 federal grant to build a wing for senior HS programs. Later the county purchased additional land and expanded the facilities. Graduates have made significant contributions to society in the arts, business, education, government, engineering, farming, law, medicine, ministry, and research. The history of the school, including names of students, faculty and graduates, along with information about student activities and commencement exercises, is recorded in Taylorsville High School 1900 – 1966 by Lamar Harris, 2012, available in the EVHS archives.
 
Erected by Etowah Valley Historical Society.
 
Location. 34° 5.503′ 
Taylorsville High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, December 27, 2013
2. Taylorsville High School Marker
N, 84° 59.455′ W. Marker is in Taylorsville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Euharlee Street and Lanier Drive, on the left when traveling north on Euharlee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Euharlee Street, Taylorsville GA 30178, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McPherson’s March to Dallas (was approx. 2.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Stilesboro Academy (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 4.9 miles away); Black Pioneers Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Davis & Dodge at Peek’s Spring (approx. 5.1 miles away); Logan’s 15th Corps at Swaintown (approx. 5.1 miles away); Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847 (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylorsville.
 
Categories. Education
 
Taylorsville High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, December 27, 2013
3. Taylorsville High School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement