Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Higher Education

– The Museum in the Streets –

 

—Danbury, Connecticut —

 
Higher Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 30, 2013
1. Higher Education Marker
Inscription.
Continuing educational opportunities have long been available in Danbury. In the late 1800s, the Stillman’s Business College, at the corner on Main and White Streets, offered classes in penmanship, commercial law and bookkeeping.
The Danbury State Trade School opened in 1914 on Library Place. In 1955, an expansion and relocation to Hayestown Avenue renamed it the Henry Abbott Technical & Vocational School. A combination of academics and vocational training made it a unique addition to our city’s educational offerings. Evening classes are still offered for those looking to expand their knowledge and skill set for numerous trades.
Danbury Hospital’s Nurses Training School began in 1894 with a full class of seven students. For this two-year course applicants needed to be single and between the ages of 20 and 35. Applicants had to possess a good education, perfect health and were required to provide testimonials as to their character.
In 1903, Danbury Normal School was established by an act of the Legislature. It was the state’s fourth normal school for the training of teachers. Built on three acres of land on White Street donated by Alexander M. White, the first class had an enrollment of 41 students.
In 1937, the name was changed to Danbury State Teachers College. Dr. Ruth Haas became the first woman ever
Higher Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, December 30, 2013
2. Higher Education Marker
to serve as president of a four-year state college in 1946. In 1959, the name changed to Danbury State College to allow for other degrees and, in 1967, it was renamed Western Connecticut State College.
The expansion of programs and increased enrollment led to the construction of a building to house the Ancell School of Business on the 300+ acre Westside campus. Western became a university in 1983 when it was renamed Western Connecticut State University.
 
Erected by Danbury Museum & Historical Society. (Marker Number 34.)
 
Location. 41° 23.776′ N, 73° 27.245′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of White Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on White Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danbury CT 06810, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The News Around Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Trolleys & Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker); Danbury Fair Days (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danbury Disasters (about 300 feet away); The Danbury Fire Department (about 300 feet away); Wooster Square (about 300 feet away); Charles Edward Ives – The Father of Modern Music (about 400 feet away); Marian Anderson (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement